Get special savings for Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
Your client needs to talk about suicide. Are you ready?
Save 35% on our online course, Assessment and Intervention with Suicidal Clients
with John Sommers-Flanagan, PhD
Sale Extended 2 Weeks Only: Save 35% Regularly $179 Now Only $116.35
Expires May 30, 2023. Price is for individual users only. Discounts available for organizations with multiple users. Contact us at [email protected]. Meets California's state requirements for Psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs and LPCs suicide assessment and intervention training. Also meets other states' requirements, check with your board for details.
Take a look inside...
A research-informed approach that emphasizes collaboration and offers effective interventions for suicidality.
- Intervene collaboratively and empathically rather than from a position of authority or anxiety
- Optimize your clinical effectiveness with suicidal clients
- Develop strategies for assessing and enlisting clients' strengths and resources.
- Acquire skills to create an effective safety plan with diverse suicidal clients
- Discover how to incorporate contextual factors such as race, age, gender, sexual orientation and religion
- Expand your clinical flexibility and confidence with all forms of suicidality, from passive to active, acute to chronic, and indirect to lethal
CE Test and certificate available
7.5 Continuing Education Credits available for licensed professionals, including counselors, social workers, and psychologists. Click here for list of CE Accreditations. Consistent with state-mandated suicide assessment and intervention training.
Talking With Your Clients About Suicide Shouldn't be Uncomfortable.
With this online course you'll develop the confidence and competence you need when suicide comes up.
Save 35% for a limited time: now only $116.35 Regularly $179
Offer expires May 30, 2023. Discounts available for organizations with multiple users. Contact us at [email protected] or call 1-800-577-4762.
Brittany L. Pollard, PhD
Assistant Professor Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Department of Counseling
“This video comprehensively addresses a sensitive, often anxiety-provoking topic for both beginning and seasoned clinicians. Using a framework that addresses both our academic and experiential understandings of suicidality, Dr. Sommers-Flanagan effectively demonstrates his approach to this nuanced and difficult work. Observing his work with a range of diverse clients and his integration of theoretical technique and strategies associated with assessment, intervention, safety planning, and goal-setting is invaluable. Dr. Sommers-Flanagan provides a narration that helps viewers reflect on his approach in real-time and consider the ways in which they might incorporate these skills into their own clinical practice.”
Ken McCurdy, PhD
Associate Professor, Gannon University; Disaster Mental Health Counselor, American Red Cross
“This course presents one of the most accurate and easy to understand approaches to assessing and intervening with suicidal clients utilizing multiple case vignettes. Dr. Sommers-Flanagan does an outstanding job of presenting clinical tasks that every clinician needs to know, as well as collaborating with suicidal clients through identifying protective factors, not only risk factors. This video series provides clinicians, graduate students and clinical training programs with a wonderful mechanism to advance their competence in suicide assessment. In my opinion, it is one of the most useful resources available to assist in suicide assessment training of helping professionals.”
Marianne Schneider Corey, MFT & Gerald Corey, EdD
Co-Authors Groups: Process and Practice, Becoming a Helper, and many other texts
“Dr. John Sommers-Flanagan does a marvelous job of assessing and interviewing with several clients who struggle with suicidal ideation. His manner is natural, personable, calm, compassionate, insightful, and engaging. We are impressed with the way he makes a connection with clients and encourages them to express their key concerns. We also appreciate that he emphasizes not only special knowledge and skills but the primacy of the relationship in making accurate assessments. Those who view this video will acquire important guidelines in interviewing suicidal clients.”
Through compassionate and targeted sessions with a 30 year-old single mother and a 22 year old native-american alcoholic Iraq veteran, Dr. Sommers-Flanagan demonstrates the assessment and treatment skills necessary to work collaboratively with suicidal clients.
Learn to recognize and apply the eight dimensions of suicidality and the seven fundamental clinical tasks in your own assessment and early interventions.
Working with a teenager, a recent widow and a woman struggling with the memories of a schizophrenic mother, Sommers-Flangan demonstrates the use of various tools to optimize clinical effectiveness: the "Mood Rating Scale with a Suicide Floor" to help identify changes in a client’s emotional status and the "Suicide Rating Form" to develop strategies for accurately assessing your client’s risk for suicide. You will also acquire the skills necessary for developing an effective safety plan with suicidal clients
In this video, Sommers-Flanagan addresses the issue of acute suicidality as he works with a 35-year-old white gay male who is socially isolated, hopeless, and with access to lethal means. You will develop a deeper clinical appreciation for issues such as such as balancing a client’s autonomy with the duty to protect, the inter-generational transmission of trauma, incorporating hospitalization into treatment planning, and appropriate referral of suicidal clients.
Supplemental expert interviews cover the issues of suicide in Asian-American cultures, the challenges to effectively assessing suicidal minority youth and coping strategies for family members who have lost loved ones to suicide.
Permanent On-Demand Access to All Course Materials. Start Anytime. Study at Your Own Pace.
- 8 hrs of clinical sessions and detailed discussions demonstrating tools and strategies you can use to effectively work with an array of suicidal clients
- Voice-over commentaries and post-session debriefings to distill the nuances of Sommers-Flanagan's process
- Expert interviews focusing on multicultural competency around suicidality
- 7.5 CE credits at no additional cost, take the tests at your own pace (see CE approvals here)
- Downloadable supplemental resources to deepen your skills working with suicidality
- Transcripts of all videos
John Sommers-Flanagan, PhD
John Sommers-Flanagan is a professor of counselor education at the University of Montana, a clinical psychologist and a mental health consultant.
Primarily specializing in working with children, parents, and families, John is author or coauthor of over 50 professional publications and nine books, including How to Listen so Parents will Talk and Talk so Parents will Listen (John Wiley & Sons, 2011), Counseling and Psychotherapy Theories in Context and Practice (2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2012), Clinical Interviewing (5th ed., Wiley, 2014), and Tough Kids, Cool Counseling (2nd ed., ACA, 2007).
Victor Yalom, PhD
Victor Yalom, PhD is the founder, CEO, and resident cartoonist of Psychotherapy.net. He is a licensed psychologist with over 30 years of clinical experience, and has conducted workshops in existential-humanistic and group therapy in the US, Mexico, and China. He has produced over 60 training videos in psychotherapy, counseling, and addictions treatment.
Get the Psychotherapy.net Commitment to Quality Training
- Register now for instant access. You will receive a confirmation email with log-in information. You can get started right away!
- Permanent access to all course materials.
- Getting CE Credits is easy! Take your CE tests online, and print your certificates once you passed.
- Discounts available for organizations with multiple users. Email [email protected] for more information.
- 100% Satisfaction guarantee. For over 25 years, we have been the leader in quality video training in our field, and are committed to ensuring that our customers are fully satisfied.