Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Professionals: Revised 2020
Finally, an online course to fulfill your legal and ethical CE requirements that's engaging, entertaining and informative. Updated to include changes in laws, use of technology, and more!
The Legal & Ethical CEs You Need in an Online Course You'll Enjoy — Only $139 — Includes 7 CE Credits
Get permanent access today. Start anytime. Study at your own pace.
Get up to date on the…
- Standards of care regarding telehealth, digital communication and social media.
- Complexities of HIPAA as it impacts clinical practice.
- Line between boundary crossing and boundary violation.
- Ethics of bartering, gift giving and touch.
- Conditions allowing breach of confidentiality.
- Difference between duty to warn, report and protect.
- Laws and ethics in cases of suspected child or elder abuse.
With This Course You Will Get...
Updated introduction that includes clear and applicable overarching principles that are easy to memorize and apply when faced with an ethical or legal dilemma. The vignettes provide additional depth and context to the real-life court rulings, making the information memorable. The context of the videos make the information memorable and helpful for understanding the complexity of accurate ethical decision-making.
—Angie O'Gieblyn, PhD Lecturer, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
A great resource for students, educators and practitioners, providing a solid foundation for understanding the legal and ethical issues therapists often face. A must-have throughout the counselor education journey—from ethics classes to internships and into practice.
—Lynn Jennings, PhD Adjunct Faculty, Texas Tech University
Timely and very relevant to all mental health practitioners, with case illustrations for defining the parameters of therapeutic relationships, discerning dual relationships, differentiating between privacy and confidentiality, and guidelines for complying with HIPAA. This is a powerful resource for all clinicians as they maneuver through the questions that result from ethical dilemmas for which there are no written rules.
—Carlos M. Del Rio, PhD Assistant Professor, Bellevue University
Course Expert: Steve Feldman, JD, PhD
Stephen Feldman, JD, PhD, is an attorney and psychologist who has practiced and taught both law and psychology from Harvard in the east to Seattle University in the west. He holds a law degree from Harvard and a psychology degree from the University of Nebraska. He has lectured extensively on the law and ethics of mental health practice at conferences and in academic settings and is in private practice consulting with counseling services and individual practitioners on legal and ethical problems. He was named the "Distinguished Psychologist" for 2006 by the Washington State Psychological Association.
The Course Covers....
Volume 1: Confidentiality, privilege, duty to warn, child/elder abuse, HIPAA and telehealth.
The four lively dramatization vignettes of a judge, her law-clerk and a journalist help clarify how court rulings became laws and how they impact many of the clinical, ethical, legal and moral concerns you may encounter in your practice. Additional commentary by clinical and legal expert Stephen Feldman and conversations between Feldman and Psychotherapy.net founder Victor Yalom will further your legal and ethical insights, and strengthen your decision-making, helping you minimize the likelihood of board complaints and malpractice litigation.
Volume 2: Ethical issues
Volume 2 of this series addresses ethics, and the particular concern of being investigated by one’s licensing board for an alleged violation. Specifically, vignettes and in-depth commentaries cover such murky matters as: bartering, boundaries, dual relationships, touch, self-disclosure, gifts, breaches in confidentiality, termination and referral, electronic records, standard of care, HIPAA, client debt, and client suicide, as well as the impact of email, social media, and other technologies on ethical issues in metal-health.
Commitment to Quality Training
- 100% Satisfaction guarantee. For 20 years, we have been the leader in quality video training in our field, and are committed to ensuring that our customers are fully satisfied.
- Register now for instant access. You can get started right away!
- Video access and CE tests never expire. With permanent access, you can watch the videos, use the supplemental materials, and take the CE tests at your own pace.
- Getting CE Credits is easy! You take the CE Tests online, and can print your certificates from your account, on your schedule.
- Discounts available for organizations with multiple users. Email [email protected] for more information.